George Thomas Lock, Sr.


Born: December 5, 1874 in Bellview, Lake Charles, Louisiana
Died: August 6, 1916 in League City, Texas
Buried: Orange Grove Cemetery, Lake Charles, Louisiana
Father: George Lock
Mother: Elmina Martha "Ellen" Goos
Wife: Delia Joyce Moss
Married: December 1904 in Lake Charles, Louisiana
Children: Delia Joyce Lock
George Thomas Lock, Jr.
Frank Ray Lock, Sr., M.D.
Edith Lobdell Lock

The Daily American-Press, August 7, 1916:


        A tragic automobile accident on the shell road halfway between Houston and Galveston yesterday afternoon, resulted in the instant death of George T. Lock, and the injuring of his brother-in-law, Olin Moss, and Charles Schloam, a road engineer of Houston. News of the accident received in Lake Charles yesterday evening plunged the city in gloom over the death of one of its most brilliant business men, and progressive residents.
        Last week Mr. and Mrs. Lock planned for a month's stay at the seashore at Galveston. Mrs. Lock and her three children, and Mrs. John L. Henning of Sulphur left Saturday morning for the island city by train, while Mr. Lock and Olin Moss started later in the day in Mr. Lock's powerful car, intending to make the trip overland. Owing to the bad condition of the roads they were forced to spend the night in Beaumont.
        The journey was resumed yesterday morning, and the party reached Houston without mishap, where they were joined by Mr. Schloam. It was on the last lap of the trip that the fatal accident occurred which snuffed out a useful and generous career.
        The accident is attributed to soft soil on the side of the roadway. Mr. Lock, driving the car, had passed another automobile and in turning back into the road the machine skidded and turned over. Mr. Lock's skull was crushed, presumably by the windshield. Death was instantaneous. Mr. Moss was seriously bruised about the chest.
        According to witnesses of the tragedy, both cars were traveling in the same direction. The machine driven ... (a few lines are missing).
        No one could tell the exact manner in which Mr. Lock came to his death. Neither Mr. Moss or Mr. Schloam last night were able to give the police a clear account of the tragedy and its cause. Motor Cycle Officer R. E. Dunham of Galveston talked with both men after they were placed in the hospital. Both said that soft soil caused the car to skid and finally overturn.
        An examination showed that the machine hurtled along for a distance of about sixty feet before coming to a stop. Mr. Lock's body was lying near the right front wheel of the car. The left front wheel was smashed to splinters. W. L. Ilfrey was one of the first to reach the scene. He hastened on to League City to procure medical aid and an ambulance. The injured men were taken to Galveston by Edward S. Boles of Houston.
        Mrs. Lock, who was at the Hotel Galvez, was prostrated by the terrible tidings, and her condition remained serious throughout the night. She was attended by physicians and trained nurses, and this morning was reported to be slightly better.
        The first message received in the city of the accident was sent to Dr. T. H. Watkins. Other local relatives and friends soon afterwards began hearing of the accident, and within an hour the news was all over the city.
        Tom Clooney, with whom Mr. Lock had been associated in business for many years, immediately left for Grand Lake, where Mr. Lock's parents, Captain and Mrs. George Lock, and his brother, Fred G. Lock were spending the day at their summer home. Fred G. Lock came up to the city at once, and left on an early morning train for Galveston. Captain and Mrs. Lock came up to the city this morning.
        Local friends of the family were glad to learn this morning that Olin Moss' injuries, while serious, are not considered critical. It is thought that one or two ribs are broken, and he had been badly shaken up, but first reports of his injuries proved to be exaggerated.
        The remains of George T. Lock arrived this afternoon in a special Pullman attached to the east-bound Oriole. Numerous friends and relatives of the deceased from Houston and Galveston accompanied the remains, including L. H. Moss, C. D. Moss, Dr. T. H. Watkins, Mrs. J. Alton Foster, Fred G. Lock, A. H. Moss, Arthur Knapp and C. E. Going, who went over to Galveston last night, and Mr. and Mrs. J. Rufus Green, and Mrs. John L. Henning, who were already in that city. Mr. Olin Moss also was brought back with the party, and will be given medical attention.
        Owing to Mrs. Lock's condition arrangements for the funeral had not been announced this afternoon. The funeral will be held probably tomorrow, with interment in Orange Grove cemetery.
        The mill of the Lock-Moore Lumber company and the big shipyards at Lockport, and the First National bank here were closed today out of respect for the memory of Mr. Lock, who was prominently identified with all three institutions.
        George T. Lock, the youngest son of Captain and Mrs. George Lock, was born at Prien Lake, six miles below the city, on December 5, 1874. At that time Captain Lock was operating the old Burleson mill. Later, upon the organization of the Lock-Moore Lumber company, he moved with his parents to Lockport, where he resided until about six years ago, when he established his home in this city.
        The deceased was educated in local schools, and afterwards attended the University of the South, at Sewanee. Following his graduation he went to England and studied there for a year.
        His education having been completed Mr. Lock identified himself with the Lock-Moore Lumber company. He went on the road for the concern as a traveling salesman, and later entered the office. At the time of his death he was assistant general manager of the Lock-Moore Lumber company, and of the Edgewood Land and Logging company.
        Mr. Lock's first big business venture was the organization of Clooney Construction and Towing company. He conceived the plan whereby the Clooney shipyards were moved to Lockport, and greatly enlarged. Under his guidance the business of the concern has steadily expanded from the commencement of operations eight years ago, until now it does the largest shipbuilding business in the southwest. At the time of his death he was working on plans for the widening and deepening of the Intercoastal canal, to permit of the construction of larger barges and schooners at the shipyards.
        Since moving to the city Mr. Lock had taken an active interest in Lake Charles civic and business circles. He became a large stockholder, and vice-president of the Prairie Farm Lands company upon its organization a couple of years ago. Last winter ... (several lines are missing) ...structive brain, combined with many years of practical experience in the business world.
        Mr. Lock was a leader in public movements for civic and business betterment. His name was always found near the top in subscription lists. He was an inveterate booster for good roads, and lent his influence to the movement on all occasions. He was also deeply interested in making Lake Charles a deep water port, and his efforts in this direction will be sadly missed.
        No less in his private life was he generous, tolerant and sympathetic. Despite his commanding position in business and financial circles he had no enemies. Mr. Lock was a man of broad understanding and sympathies. He numbered his friends by the hundreds, and they join the members of his family in their grief over his untimely loss.
        Mr. Lock's private life was a source of inspiration to those who knew him. He was married in December 1904 to Miss Delia Moss, and their family life was touching in its simplicity and devotion. He is survived by his wife and three children: Delia, George T. Lock, Jr., and Frank Ray Lock. Mr. Lock is also survived by his parents, Captain and Mrs. George Lock, a brother, Fred G. Lock, of Lake Charles, and a sister, Mrs. M. P. Paret of Oakland, California.

Adopted by the Lake Charles Rotary Club, Tuesday, August 15, 1916:


        Hastening to join his loved ones, fate interposed, and in one brief moment out of a clear sky of unalloyed happiness, caused to be enacted a tragedy which by its awful suddenness first shocked and stunned, then left prostrated with grief his loved ones, and which in a moment shattered the present realization of cherished dreams of father and mother, laid years ago in fondest hope, took from his friends a companion they loved, and from the community a man of wonderful character, large calibre, great breadth of vision and rare executive ability, and whose presence is so essential to the successful termination of vital policies already initiated by him in the furtherance of the interest of the community along constructive lines.
        There are no words to portray the profound sorrow and depth of grief into which this community is plunged by taking away of our friend -- never before in the life of any one of us has an occurrence cast such a deep gloom, or occasioned such sadness. All the city and the host of friends abroad are in great sorrow. Men of affairs inured to the world and its hardened ways, accustomed to its distractions, from whatever cause, and seldom off guard in concentration upon matters of moment, are themselves constantly absorbed to the exclusion of all else under the influence of the shadow caused by the departure of our friend.
        The life of Mr. George T. Lock is a wonderful inspiration, his example, noble, his every purpose had for its aim no object the attainment of which led through any path which breathed question.
        The many friends who mourn his loss, irreparably, may only look to the certain consolation that the shadow, indicative of mortal misunderstanding of the ways of God, in which his leave taking has enshrouded us, will disappear in the glory of the flight of his noble soul to his Heavenly home.